Perceptions

Monday, March 21, 2005

Dizziness

It’s starting again. I didn’t think I’d experience the symptoms while I was here in Korea but it’s happening again just like it did the first time in Norfolk. Every single time it happens, it catches me off guard and has me shook like I’m going to pass out or something. There’s nothing that can really be done about it. All I can do is just sit down or lean up against something, pray, and wait for it to passes. The only thing that can reduce the occurrence and intensity of the symptoms is allegra and sometimes allegra alone won’t help so it has to be combined with flonase. What is it that I have? It’s called Labyrinthitis. Labyrinthitis is an inflammation or dysfunction of the cavities and canals in the inner ear. The syndrome is defined by the acute onset of vertigo that commonly is associated with head or body movement or in my case it’s my sinuses during the spring and fall months that cause inflammation of a nerve in my inner ear. Nausea, vomiting, or malaise often accompanies the vertigo.
Vertigo is the subjective sensation of environmental movement that may be experienced as a mild subjective instability of the surroundings or, in its most severe form, as a spinning sensation. In layman’s terms, it feels like I’m on a ship being tossed in a storm or an airplane experiencing bad turbulence. The sensation can last anywhere from a few second to a few minutes. Depending on how often it occurs and the intensity, it can leave me feeling really tired and sick. Trust, it ain’t no little thing and it ain’t joke. I hate feeling like this. Helpless, weak, and scared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home